tiistai 22. maaliskuuta 2016

One Hundred and One Collections

Sometimes I feel like the things I collect and the things I would like to collect are two very different affairs. Meaning, of course, that in an ideal universe I would collect so much more. Because time, space and money are limiting factors in one’s life I have to stick to the so called cherries on top in order to avoid hoarding and bankruptcy.

I mentioned in my first blog post that collecting is coded in my DNA and indeed the trait does run in the family. I don’t know if it’s due to growing up surrounded by my dad’s comic books or if it’s actually something magical running in my veins, but since… well, forever, having things to collect, organize and complete have brought me great satisfaction. Even if I’ve only recently gotten into toy figures, during my 25 plus years of being alive I have already had time to collect a number of things. So the question of the day is, what are these cherries o’ mine?

My oldest hobby that counts as a collection is probably BB gun ammo. Yyyeah. So I must have been about seven when I first learned about the ozone layer and obviously got crazy worried that humanity was doomed and my family was certainly going to die if I didn’t do anything to fix the depletion. The clever child that I was, I figured if I picked up all the garbage tainting our suburban neighborhood the problem would be as good as gone. Candy wrappers and plastic bags were quickly taken care of but the teeny weeny BBs took a while – they are plastic so they count as trash amirite? It was the moment when I should have disposed of them when I decided they were too pretty for just that. I’m not seven anymore but what can I say, the habit sticked. The ozone layer has improved since the 90’s and still continues to do so. I’m just saying.

picture from Google

I might have the tendency to pick up trash but that doesn’t mean I’m not interested in the non-trashy stuff found outside. Plants are a HUGE interest of mine and it was obvious that I wanted to continue collecting them after the compulsory herbarium I had to (got to) collect in uni. In short I find different plant species (not the endangered ones), identify them, pick them up, press them dry and flat and attach them to a sheet of paper alongside the necessary info that makes them scientific specimens. So far I have collected around 600 different species of plants. I also take tons of pictures outside and sort of view my photos as a collection too. I love collecting bugs on film! Through these collections I get to play my very own treasure hunt (get it? get it?), be outdoorsy and learn A TON. That’s a good hobby if you ask me.

a few shots from last summer

What else. I collect Disney classics and Pixar movies because if you don’t you should. I get into a Disney movie watching mode every couple years and they never get old: collecting justified. I also am a little hoardy when it comes to yarn, because I crochet quite a bit. I might see an amigurumi blog post in the future, hm. Pretty much in some way or another I make most aspects of my life collectable – I sort the anime I watch in my myanimelist-account and have an excel file dedicated to chronologically organizing the Barbie dolls I owned and wanted to own as a kid.

Sometime ago my dad found out that if you buy Kinder (and such) figurines cheap, collect complete sets and find the right buyers you can make some money. A fun pastime and good motivation to be active (he bikes everywhere). So I first got into Kinder’s Natoons-sets and then got the permission to rummage through dad’s finds and keep the ones I like. The current situation is that I have a “priority” list of 41 different sets of toys that I’m collecting plus multiple lists of “possibly interesting sets” and “if I find one I might start collecting these” lists. In addition, I’m up for anything Pokémon, Sanrio or Puppy/Kitty/Teddy in My Pocket if it’s reasonably priced and sized. Lately I’ve been really excited about the zodiac Hello Kitty series found in Dolci Preziosi surprise eggs, Zaini’s Disney Animal Friends surprise egg figures and getting a Bandai Kids figure of all of my favorite Pokémon. I plan on sharing these and many more here on this blog as I go on with the hunt .


I don't yet own any Zizzlingers which is wrong on so many levels!

I also wanted to mention that it’s Easter in a couple of days! I have in total 30 Kinder surprise eggs reserved for the festivities and I very much plan to blog all that.

Stay tuned!

 Tuuli

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti